Appropriate linkages are built-in, in the NIS. Major ones are:
- Science and Technology Policy 2003 links major actors of NIS
- Planning Commission is the centralized body providing funds for innovation activities and thus provides appropriate linkages in the Government support mechanisms.
- With a view to coordinate innovation related programmes in various socio-economic sectors, the Department of Science and Technology has a mechanism through Science and Technology Advisory Committees (STACs) in association with the concerned Ministries/Departments
- Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (SAC-PM), Scientific Advisory Committee to the Cabinet (SAC-C) and the Scientific Advisor to the Government play a very important role of linking virtually every actor in the NIS.
- The Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) has a Technology Information and Facilitation Programme (TIFP), which endeavors to ensure that Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) are fruitfully used in all the sectors of development and facilitate collaborative research among industries and institutions. This again provides a linking mechanism between various innovative actors.
- There are Programmes which have strong public private partnerships
- Government / Bank supported projects encourage linkages between industry-R&D organizations-Academia which are important actors of the innovation process.
- Government support mechanisms, fiscal incentives, national awards and other motivational schemes support and encourage linkages.
- While innovation embraces almost the entire activities of mankind, in this study, the focus is only on innovation related to industrial sector.
- In this study, policy measures taken only by the Central Government are covered; those taken by the State Governments and their organizations are not included.
- Departments/ Organizations like the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), Department of Space, Department of Atomic Energy and Directorate General of Ordnance Factories are not covered.
- Only those measures/systems, which have direct bearing on innovation, are covered.
- While every effort has been made to cover all major initiatives taken by the Government and Government supported organizations and others for enhancing innovation, any inadvertent omissions/inadequate coverage could not be entirely ruled out.